There is more to journalism than just being a medium for spreadingnews and current affairs. From lifestyle to politics and social issues, journalism is the key to transparency of our society. Whether it is good or bad, journalism brings everyone to knowledge on what is going on in the society and influences how they are to react or interact with it. Just as much as amazon product review help you in purchasing items online, journalism brings one to a guided judgment on the issues of the society.
However, many have come to question the sensibility of journalism. Whether the news in question pertains truth, facts, or none at all, the quality of the news and information presented is evaluated in a way it affects user or individual experience. Furthermore, people seek high-quality journalism through evaluating the impact of the news and information to their experiences and insights of their own selves and the society where they belong.
The Art and Science of Journalism
Journalism is art and science at the same time. While there is the artistic form of writing and presenting news and information to the public, the processing of truths through the rubrics of efficacy to experience and factuality makes journalism a science. Through understanding its artistic and sciencetific aspects, high-quality journalism can be put into practice and affects more personal experience than ever before.
The Principles of High-Quality Journalism
The quality of journalism is guided by the many principles it has established in order to maintain truth and accuracy at all times. When the press delivers information, it is essential that all of them are true and relevant to the society. Such principles have changed over time, given the increased need for information as well as the rise of technology that made news as simultaneous as it had happened, through all media platforms where news and information are delivered. However, most principles have remained over time and governed the monitoring of high-quality journalism. They are as follows:
- Journalism must be readily available. It is imperative that the truth is delivered in its purest, simplest language.
- Journalism must be personalized. The need for anyone to be able to react, interact, and even refuse or reconcile the news or information is essential to keeping the spirit of journalism alive.
- Journalism has to entertainment as it is public relations.
- Journalism has to be updated. Late news is no news.
- Journalism must bring people towards relaxation and respite, despite the call of the press to bring distressful news.
- Journalism must be impactful.
- Journalism should bring people towards a realization and offer relatability to every reader.
So what is high-quality journalism?
High-quality journalism is journalism that is guided by its principles. When a piece of news or information is relayed to the public, it should be able to reach out to them, be relatable to them, and give them a sense of respite for reading such article. If that is achieved in the information or news delivered to the target audience, then what was done during the procuration of such news and information is an example of high-quality journalism.